[antlr-interest] How to debug grammars on Vista

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Mon Aug 3 17:31:16 PDT 2009

sunao furukawa wrote:
> Hello! Everybody.
> some days ago,I got a reply from this mailinglist(David-Sarah Hopwood).
> ANTLRWorks generated(debug menu->debug) __Test__.java,
> debugging(debug menu->debug remote) T1.g is successful.
> But,TestE.java doesn't get a port(DEBUGGER_PORT 48000),
> so debug remote(debug menu->debug remote) doesn't work.
> I use antlrworks-1.2.3 on Windows Vista Home Basic sp1.
> Why cannot I debug remote TestE.java ?
> Please tell me the reason that I can debug __Test__.java but I cannot debug
> TestE.java !

This is very likely because the 'default local port' set in the ANTLRWorks
preferences (File menu | Preferences | Debugger tab) is not the same as
DEBUGGER_PORT in TestE.java. They must both be the same unused port.

If this theory is correct, the reason why __Test__.java works is that
it automatically passes in the same port that is configured in the ANTLR
preferences at the time the code is generated. Therefore, you should change
DEBUGGER_PORT to the one in the preferences, rather than the other way
around.

If the ports are already the same, then the problem may be that TestE isn't
running (you have to run it manually; sorry if this is stating the obvious),
or for some reason hasn't reached the point in the code where it listens,
which is called from the parser constructor.

If all else fails, download a port monitor (e.g.
<http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html> -- although that is just the
first one I found using Google, and I cannot vouch for it) and check that
there is an instance of java.exe listening on the 'default local port'
before you select 'Debug Remote...'.