[antlr-interest] Strategy for mapping output to line numbers from a tree walker

Joe Schmoe shambolic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 11:43:53 PDT 2009

I have a grammar that produces an AST and a tree walker, and I am coming up
blank trying to figure out a reasonable way to track line number information
in the tree walker so that I can map my output to source file lines.
The only solution I have come up with is incredibly wordy, which is to make
sure that every time I see a token name in the walker I track the line
number.

rule : ^(TOKENNAME .... ) { TrackLine($TOKENNAME.line) }
      ;

I am sure there are better solutions than this but I haven't been able to
figure out what they are.