[antlr-interest] what's in a name?

Sam Barnett-Cormack s.barnett-cormack at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Aug 27 13:25:52 PDT 2009

Terence Parr wrote:
> Hi, so we're going back and forth on titles/subtitles for the new book
> on implementing DSLs and other languages.  Now, we're "Language Design
> Patterns", where Design is an adjective of Patterns; Language is not
> an adj of Design.  it's ambiguous though. Using Lang Impl Design
> Patterns was too long and unwieldy.  So, we added a subtitle about
> "Techniques for implementing DSLs".  Our marketing has been all about
> impl DSLs but the book became much more general.
>
> The confusion is that the current title can be seen as about lang
> design.  We could do Lang Impl Patterns, but Kent Beck has a Impl
> Patterns book now that is totally different concept.
>
> Publisher wants DSL in there somewhere.  Any ideas about title/subtitle?

I love the "design pattern" element, as it is following the same feeling
as design patterns - and you'd hardly be the first to port the idea to
another domain.

I guess the problem is that "language design patterns" sounds like
you're designing languages. How about "Design Patterns for Language
Implementation", or are we *not* excluding langauge design, just wanting
to make sure it's clear that implementation is there as well?

--
Sam Barnett-Cormack