[antlr-interest] what's in a name?

Nicola Musatti Nicola.Musatti at objectway.it
Fri Aug 28 00:57:15 PDT 2009

Terence Parr wrote:
> Hi, so we're going back and forth on titles/subtitles for the new book
> on implementing DSLs and other languages.  Now, we're "Language Design
> Patterns", where Design is an adjective of Patterns; Language is not
> an adj of Design.  it's ambiguous though. Using Lang Impl Design
> Patterns was too long and unwieldy.  So, we added a subtitle about
> "Techniques for implementing DSLs".  Our marketing has been all about
> impl DSLs but the book became much more general.
>
> The confusion is that the current title can be seen as about lang
> design.  We could do Lang Impl Patterns, but Kent Beck has a Impl
> Patterns book now that is totally different concept.
>
> Publisher wants DSL in there somewhere.  Any ideas about title/subtitle?

First of all, unfortunately "Language Design Patterns" is such a good
sounding name that it makes it difficult to improve its meaning. A
couple of suggestions:

"Language Processing Design Patterns" - Not as cute, but maybe somewhat
more accurate

"Pattern Oriented Language Engineering" - Maybe a little too reminiscent
of the Pattern Oriented Software Architecture series, but don't you love
the POLE acronym? That would call for a white bear on the book cover :-)

As a subtitle you could use something like: "Implementing Domain
Specific Languages the right way".

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti

--
La presente comunicazione potrebbe contenere informazioni riservate e/o protette
da segreto professionale ed e' indirizzata esclusivamente ai destinatari della