[antlr-interest] what's in a name?

C. Mundi cmundi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:59:25 PDT 2009

Terence,

After reading the entire manuscript, the original, "Language Design
Patterns," seems more appropriate than ever.  Many sections feel like
Language (Design Patterns) and others feel like (Language Design) Patterns.
So I say you can claim the associative ambiguity as a "feature."  :)

Instead, let me open another box o' monkeys (which will be in the notes I'm
sending to your publisher).  Domain specificity is a characteristic of a
language, and not necessarily of the tools used to implement the language.
I'm sure the publisher wants DSL in the title, in part because DSLs are Sexy
and Hot Right Now.  (And I would agree that's a good enough reason; I admire
effective marketing.)  But as I read the manuscript, I came away realizing
that -- apart from the choice of DSL-oriented examples -- the actual *
patterns* are for the most part broadly applicable beyond DSLs.  You might
convince me otherwise; you are the expert here.  I think your book is not
limited to DSLs, although that may be a good way to position it at Amazon.