[antlr-interest] Reporting a bug in C Target

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Wed Dec 9 20:45:49 PST 2009

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 19:54:51 -0800
  "Gokulakannan Somasundaram" <gokul007 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Assigning it to 0, will again cause trouble for C++ folks.
>

> No it won't, because 0 is a valid (indeed, the preferred) way of
>writing
> a null pointer constant in C++.
>

> I think you misunderstood me. I said assigning 0 to a enum in C++
>will throw a compiler error.

I didn't though :). See email about new initialization rules. I think
that they are much mire in keeping with C and C++. More generally it
makes the grammar programmer responsible for behaviour, which is in
line with the rest of the C stuff.

David's point about C++ is correct though 0 == NULL is guranteed in
ANSI C, evenbthough rhe compiler must work it out. Better to use NULL
consistently and try to avoid adding to the billion dollars.

Jim