[antlr-interest] void* conversion in C runtime

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Sat Feb 21 18:19:48 PST 2009

Gavin Lambert wrote:
> At 14:45 22/02/2009, Jim Idle wrote:
> >Unit tests are known failures, mostly down to the tests
> >themselves, but you can download the 3.1.2 release now
> >from the main download page.
>
> Shouldn't the release not be released until the tests pass?  Isn't
> that the whole point of having unit tests?
>
> Or are these tests for bugs that haven't been fixed yet?

These are test for bugs that were once fixed, but are no longer valid
tests, but for which Ter has not had time to go and either decide to
delete the test or make the test different. For instance tests for
NFA-DFA conversions that no longer convert to the thing that the the
teste is looking for. sometimes just things like A B C is now A C B
(validly) I don't want to disable the tests or we will forget to do
anything about them. There are better mechanisms but they take time to
set up.

Also, don't forget that in a perfect world all releases would be without
bugs, but it isn't a perfect world, even if you get paid to do such
things as this :-)

Jim