[antlr-interest] Handling 'finally' in language target that doesn't have 'finally'

Sohail Somani sohail at worklogassistant.com
Mon Jan 19 12:25:32 PST 2009

Rick Mann wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2009, at 11:50:54, Sohail Somani wrote:
>
>> I'm pretty sure you've got it backwards. Languages that /require/
>> finally are stupid.
>>
>> For everything else, there's ScopeGuard/RAII.
>

> I'm not suggesting that C++ should drop support for RAII. I'm saying
> it's stupid that it doesn't also support finally.
>
> C++ is about making it easier to write complex code. It can be argued
> that it's syntactic sugar (as is any language). Not supporting finally
> means often times forcing the user to write more code, not less, to
> accomplish a thing.
>
> I also love Java, and wish it supported RAII (but not at the expense
> of finally). There's no reason not to have both.

I agree that it is definitely syntactic sugar for C++. However, more
than one level of resource management in a function and you get a maze
of finally blocks which are sometimes impenetrable.

So finally is nice to have, but I don't consider it very scalable for
this reason.

Sorry for not answering your original question, hope someone else does :-)

--
Sohail Somani
Hassle-free time tracking for JIRA

Website: http://worklogassistant.com