[antlr-interest] C Runtime Error Handling Problems

Bot Tiger bottiger1 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 16:24:46 PST 2009

Dear Jim and ANTLR community,

>Are you saying that this aborts when trying to print an error message if
>you do not try to override the reporting function with your own, or that >
>it aborts with your own reporting function?

It does not abort in either my handler or the default one. It reports
a token at offset -1 which does not make sense if it is EOF.

Here is an example using the default handlers.

>> 1++2
-memory-(1)  : error 5 : Unexpected token, at offset -1
    near [Index: 0 (Start: 1369936-Stop: 1369936) ='1', type<15> Line:
1 LinePos:-1]
     : missing elements...
-memory-(1)  : error 5 : Unexpected token, at offset -1
    near [Index: 0 (Start: 1369936-Stop: 1369936) ='1', type<15> Line:
1 LinePos:-1]
     : missing elements...

As you can see here, the default error reporter here says that there
is an unexpected token at offset -1. You said that this means it is
expecting an EOF token.
I thought it would be expecting a number token.

I expected the error report to say something like:

Unexpected token at offset 2. Expected NUMBER token.

Thank you again.