[antlr-interest] Language Design Patterns and incremental parsing

Andrew Haritonkin thikone at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 08:56:52 PDT 2009

Hello Ter,

Language Design Patterns is very nice book, even in beta version. I
love it - just what I needed after ANTLR  book... Thank you for that.

I remember there was a talk about incremental parsing option for ANTLR
3. It started with Prashant Deva when he implemented it for his ANTLR
Studio plug-in for Eclipse. In his blog he said that it was planned
for ANTLR 3 release, then for ANTLR 3.1. And you mentioned it once
here that you plan to write a paper with Prashant about incremental
top-down parsing. But I couldn't find any news about that.

There is not much information could be found about incremental parsing
and most of them (or all of them), are related to LR parser. It seems
like it's not very known topic. Or maybe it's not needed so much? On
the other hand, Language Design Patterns is mostly about LL parser.
And I think discussing this topic in this book for LL parser would add
a great value to it.

Of course, there is always something more to ask and you never can
have it all... right?

Any comments? Can you share your opinion about this topic and how
important it is?

Thank you,
Andrew