[antlr-interest] Language Design Patterns and incremental parsing

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Thu Jul 23 12:43:45 PDT 2009

At 05:27 24/07/2009, Andrew Haritonkin wrote:
 >Interesting... so, the lexer could be hardest part, good to
know.
 >It seems incremental parsing is both, a very complex problem
 >and not so needed feature.
[...]
 >ANTLR is already good enough and besides I'm not so far to think

 >about optimization yet. Just thought that this topic is lost
 >somewhere.  I'm very interested in it because I'm building an
 >IDE as my home project.

You might be interested in this blog entry (and neighbouring
ones):
   <http://blog.280z28.org/archives/2008/10/21/>http://blog.280z28.org/archives/2008/10/21/

It's a discussion of how to integrate an ANTLR-based lexer/parser
into the Visual Studio IDE.  While it doesn't directly cover how
to do incremental lexing, it does discuss some issues that arise
when the lexer is being used incrementally.