[antlr-interest] "Cannot launch the debugger"

Matthew Rawlings matthew at stickledown.com
Mon Jun 1 13:27:26 PDT 2009

I have been getting on fine learning ANTLR. I have written my grammars and
executed the examples downloaded from "The Definitive ANTLR Reference". All
grammars work fine from the command line, and most work fine from
ANTLRWorks. The only problem is that whenever I separate the tree grammar
and parser grammar I get the modal error window in ANTLRWorks titled
"Connection Errror", and stating "Cannot launch the debugger. Time-out
waiting to connect to the remote parser."

Steps to reproduce:

1.	Download code\tour\trees example from
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/tpantlr/source_code
2.	Double click to start ANTLRWorks jar on the desktop
3.	Open Eval.g in ANTLRWorks
4.	Debug Eval.g in ANTLRWorks
5.	Enter text value of "3+4" and press "OK" button.
6.	Observe "Operation in Progress" window, and then the modal error
window appears.

I am running ANTLRWorks 1.2.3. The JDK is 1.6.0_13 according to Help->About,
the PATH, and JAVA_HOME.

I have read all the newsgroup posts on this, which seems a common error. I
have tried rebooting, checking the port is free, etc., etc. There is no
Windows firewall.

The example works fine from the command line, just not from ANTLRWorks.

Please, how do I get ANTLRWorks working for separate tree grammars and
parser grammars? Is there something I need to do to initiate Expr.g to debug
Eval.g?

Regards - Matthew