[antlr-interest] ok, will build an LLVM example for book

Edwards, Waverly Waverly.Edwards at genesys.com
Wed Jun 24 09:40:04 PDT 2009

What about a subset of C?  Most people will recognize C and be able to make
the connection between the source and the IR.  A procedural language would
be the most straight forward.  If you make up a language, you may spend more
time explaining the rules of the language and lose book space. Also if you
do a procedural language that can do something somewhat useful the reader
understands, the reader will get excited and want to do more on their own.
Effectively the base becomes an logical Erector Set.

A Smalltalk or Java type language subset might be nice but overly complex, possibly
loosing your reader.

As long as we get the base and the pattern, we can build from there.

Ecstatic that there will be an LLVM example for the book!

W.