[antlr-interest] ok, will build an LLVM example for book

J. Stephen Riley Silber jsrs701 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 24 10:30:53 PDT 2009

I think Waverly's point wasn't the complexity of the grammar of the language.  No one is arguing the simplicity of the Smalltalk grammar.  His point was that compiling a simple imperative language to LLVM will demonstrate the basics of LLVM IL generation.  "Everyone knows C", so it should make for a relatively simple tutorial.

I know nothing about LLVM besides what's on its project homepage, but I am confident that a C subset example will allow me to ramp up quickly to the point where I could implement "advanced" features such as dynamic dispatch in short order.

Ter, consider this a hearty seconding of Waverly's suggestion.  It's a great idea.