[antlr-interest] yaska: antlr autotest

ian eyberg ian at telematter.com
Thu Mar 12 09:42:57 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 08:46:53AM -0700, Jim Idle wrote:

> Out of interest, was there something that gUnit does not do for you that
> meant you wrote this? It might be useful feedback.

Actually I have yet to get into gUnit, although it is definitely on my list.

The problem is that I had built hundreds of tests for my parser when it was
regexen in ruby. We then ported this over to boost::spirit and we are currently
using antlr. The deal, is that all of our tests were written with xpath type
of queries and this was the quickest way (in developer time) to measure that
we were getting the same expected results to where we could commit more time
to the grammar development.

The autotest environemnt works for me, however, since it's ran automatically
using a file-watcher so it's real time and keeps me 'in the zone' rather than
being distracted by compilation time and others.

Having said that, I think I will definitely be setting aside some time for
gUnit relatively soon. It looks like a great piece of software.

-ian