[antlr-interest] 3.1.3 only accepts *.g extensions

William H. Schultz whschultz at cedrus.com
Wed Mar 25 12:47:17 PDT 2009

On Mar 25, 2009, at 12:07 PM, Jim Idle wrote:

> Gavin Lambert wrote:
>> At 04:16 26/03/2009, Jim Idle wrote:
>>> That is indeed a bug, though since we changed some internals, there
>>> is no real need not to use .g any more too be honest. I changed the
>>> VS rules files some time ago. I will take a look at this as it must
>>> be an oversight (probably on my part when I changed things for the
>>> Maven plugin).
>>
>> I thought that one of the reasons for the alternate extensions was
>> that the VS rule files (among other things) needed the extension in
>> order to work out which output files would be produced from a given
>> grammar file (which in turn lets it know whether it needs to
>> recompile
>> or not).  Isn't that still the case?
>>
> No - I changed the rules files so that they work off the different
> extensions or can be assigned to any .g file. There are more rules
> files
> and you can right click and assign the type accordingly in the project
> explorer. Still, it should be supporting other extensions though. must
> have been hard coded somewhere by accident.

Maybe that's a solution for Visual Studio, but it's not a solution for
Xcode.  Custom build rules are done on a per-target basis (which
sucks, I'll admit), you have to specify an expression to match the
filename, you provide a script to do the work, and you specify output
files.

I reverted to version 3.1.2 due to the silent failure.  I didn't want
to bother to figure out why it was failing, and I assumed there would
be a 3.1.4 soon as a result.

I don't know if this will work on this list, but I've attached an
example screenshot of one rule to show what it currently looks like in
Xcode.