[antlr-interest] ANTLR 3.1.3 performance issue

Johannes Luber jaluber at gmx.de
Fri Mar 27 07:20:03 PDT 2009

Gerz, Michael schrieb:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I tested ANTLR 3.1.3 this morning but it still has the same serious
> performance problem that was introduced shortly before the final release
> of ANTLR 3.1(.0).
>
> For a grammar that is very similar to the Java 5 grammar (including tree
> grammar and string templates), the parsing time seems to grow
> quadratically with the input size. Thus, for a 750KB file, the parser
> performance becomes inacceptable.

I know that there was a switch to a correct working, but possibly slow
algorithm around that time. If you have been affected by this then your
grammar works only by chance.

> I hope that this bug will be fixed in the near future. For the time
> being, it seems I have to revert to my pre-3.1 snapshot.
>
> Is there any chance that this bug will be fixed eventually?

Well, you haven't attached the grammar so the issue can't be examined
more closely. Until Ter has a grammar to look at there won't be likely
an improvement.

Johannes