[antlr-interest] Big grammar => static initializer/method size is exceeding the 65535 bytes limit

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Nov 4 18:54:26 PST 2009

Jim Idle wrote:
> I think that the issue is more likely something to do with your lexer specification.
> You should not need to worry about having lots of keywords, so one of the other rules
> must be causing the huge expansion.

Unfortunately, it seems as though just having lots of keywords is enough by
itself to cause this problem, especially if the keywords have lots of common
substrings, as in the case of the grammar posted by Robert Wentworth:
<http://osdir.com/ml/il-antlr-interest/2009-10/msg00384.html>
I could not see any other problem with that grammar.