[antlr-interest] Big grammar => static initializer/method size is exceeding the 65535 bytes limit

David-Sarah Hopwood david-sarah at jacaranda.org
Wed Nov 4 19:33:06 PST 2009

Jim Idle wrote:
> Yes - what I am saying is that you are getting such huge DFA tables generated
> because your rules are not well organized and it is taking a huge amount of
> analysis and so on to work out how to put it together for you.

Jim,
You haven't seen the grammar that generated the DFA in question. How on
earth do you know that it is "not well organized"?

I've looked at some of the grammars posted recently that triggered this
issue, and they seemed perfectly well-organized (properly left-factored,
only minimal if any use of predicates, etc.) to me. Indeed they looked
pretty much like the simplest grammars that would work to parse the
intended languages.