[antlr-interest] help antlr.jar

Fernando Freitas nandows at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 09:45:23 PST 2009

Hello people,
       this is my first time with antlr and I am trying to use this tool.

My firt step was the example of the book "The definitive antlr reference".

Folows below the grammar of pag 29.

T.g

grammar T;
/** Match things like "call foo;" */
r : 'call' ID ';' {System.out.println("invoke "+$ID.text);} ;
ID: 'a'..'z' + ;
WS: (' ' |'\n' |'\r' )+ {$channel=HIDDEN;} ; // ignore whitespace

The antlr generate this files:

 TLexer.java  T__.g   T.tokens   TParser.java

Very good!

The next page , shows the Test.java for test it.

folows below

public class Test {

// create a CharStream that reads from standard input
ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(System.in);

// create a lexer that feeds off of input CharStream
TLexer lexer = new TLexer(input);

// create a buffer of tokens pulled from the lexer
CommonTokenStream tokens = new CommonTokenStream(lexer);

// create a parser that feeds off the tokens buffer
TParser parser = new TParser(tokens);

// begin parsing at rule r
parser.r();

I try to run this Test with some versions : 3.2 ... 3.1

and in this line:

ANTLRInputStream input = new ANTLRInputStream(System.in);

always occurs a infinite looping.

1)  Can someone help me with this problem?

Best Regards
Fernando Freitas