[antlr-interest] Out of Memory

Gordon Tyler Gordon.Tyler at quest.com
Mon Oct 5 07:04:27 PDT 2009

Bear in mind that the on-disk representation of a data structure is most likely more efficient than the in-memory representation. So if you intend to load the entirety of your 1GB file into memory, you will probably be using more than 1GB of memory. This can be a problem on Win32 systems where it becomes difficult to allocate more than ~1.4GB of memory to the Java heap.

Unless there is some funky options in ANTLR which allows you to throw away parts of the parsed data as you've processed it, it sounds like you might need a hand-written stream processor.

You could also try just generating and using an ANTLR lexer in combination with a stream processor. Since it generates a stream of tokens, it shouldn't have the same difficulties of needing to maintain parsed data structures in memory, while still doing some of the grunt-work required to process the file. Thus your hand-written parser should have better control over what stays in memory.