[antlr-interest] ANTLR C: Question regarding the portability of generated lexer C code

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Fri Oct 16 03:07:22 PDT 2009

ANTLR works internally with 32 bit Unicode (UTF32), not EBCDIC, even if it is in 8 bit mode. So you need to convert the EBCDIC to Unicode 8 bits and use the ‘ASCII’ input stream. A simple way to do this would be to write your own EBCDIC input stream that just converted to Unicode code points (essentially EBCDIC->ASCII) on the fly via a lookup table. Trivial and should be pretty quick.

Jim