[antlr-interest] ANTLR C: Question regarding the portability of generated lexer C code

Lego Haryanto legoharyanto at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 14:28:41 PDT 2009

Thanks for the response, ...

Unfortunately, it won't work in our situation without major changes.  We
already have legacy C code which is compiled with default/native, and while
we can use a different compile option for the ANTLR generated code, I'm not
sure if it's good moving forward with mixed compilation rules.

The argument remains that it means the generated C lexer code has to be
compiled by an ASCII-based compiler which may not be that portable.

Best,
-Lego

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:30 PM, David-Sarah Hopwood <
david-sarah at jacaranda.org> wrote:

> Lego Haryanto wrote:
> > Jim, thanks for your response ...
> >
> > I know that in the EBCDIC system we feed a Unicode stream into the lexer,
> > thus I'm pretty sure when the generated lexer code I pasted before is
> > executed, it is already operating on the 32-bit unicode stream.
> >
> > The problem is more about the native C compilation in an EBCDIC system
> like
> > IBM z/OS mainframe.
> >
> > To see if a character from the Unicode stream is an 'A', we have to
> compare
> > with a value 0x0041 ... If we match it with a native 'A' in the code,
> this
> > will not be a match in an EBCDIC C compilation.
>
> The z/OS C compiler is able to compile in a mode where string and character
> literals are treated as ISO-8859-1.
> <http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gcrypt-devel/2009-July/001469.html>
>
> --
> David-Sarah Hopwood  ⚥  http://davidsarah.livejournal.com

Fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge (Proverbs 1:7)