[antlr-interest] saving, duplicating and substituting tree nodes in the C API

David Minor dahvid.minor at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 03:57:00 PDT 2009

I'm working on a language that allows assignment of functions to variables.
Something like this.
fun = execute(params);

Later in the same scope if I want to do.
another_fun = fun

The most natural way to do this seems to me to save the tree from the first
execute(params) in a symbol table
and then, while generating the AST, when I see that "fun" is defined, to
substitute a duplicate of it's tree for the assignment to another_fun.

The trouble is the symbol table is in C world not Antlr.  It looks like I
could just duplicate the node save
the pointer and then re-use it, but I don't see any examples of how to do
this.

Does anyone have an idea?  Even a Java example would be helpful.

Regards,
David