[antlr-interest] Difficulty Building C runtime on Solaris with Configure

Jim Idle jimi at temporal-wave.com
Wed Sep 9 13:15:26 PDT 2009

Michael Boyer wrote:
> Hi,
>     I can't get the system specific include built with configure on a
> Solaris Unix system.
> I downloaded the 3.1.3 source distribution.  There wasn't a configure
> script in the C runtime area but there was a configure.ac.  So I ran
> autoconf on it which generated a configure.
> Running ./configure gives me this error:
> configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "."
> "./.." "./../.."
> Any help is appreciated.
> Mike Boyer

Please take some time to read through the online documentation again -
specifically the instructions on building the source code. Perhaps that
is what you are trying to follow, but if there is no configure script
then you have downloaded the wrong version from somewhere. I don't think
that putting source and binary versions of ANTLR on distributions is
very useful, it seems to throw people off.

Reading those instructions all the way thorough once will be of enormous
benefit.

The versions on the download page (linked from main download page on the
home page) are the ones you want:

http://www.antlr.org/download/C

I just checked these distributions and the configure script is where it
should be. Otherwise you need to have the autoconf authoring tools
loaded and run autoreconf -ir - but that is only for maintainers.
Configure works out that you don't have install and uses a pre-supplied
script. By the way, you should probably install those kinds of tools
anyway. I thought that Ubuntu had some "Development" package that loaded
all that stuff, however I had to give up on Ubuntu as it was too
unstable and out of date.

The instructions you should be reading if you are not doing so already
are linked from the ANTLR home page as Runtime API Doc. Select the C
link and read ANTLR3 C Runtime API and Usage Guide.

Jim