[antlr-interest] Visual Studio plugin for ANTLR grammar files

Shawn Poulson spoulson at explodingcoder.com
Thu Apr 1 16:35:32 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I've been working on and off with ANTLR over the past couple years and one
thing that always got me, not being a Java developer, was trying to remember
how to call ANTLR to compile my grammars to C#.  Moreover, I really wanted
it to be part of Visual Studio so that it generated code from the grammar on
change, like a Makefile.  I searched around and couldn't find any such tool
that already existed.

Visual Studio has an API that allows you to create your own code generators,
so I took a shot at it.  I have a working proof of concept that works as you
would expect.  The generated code files are seen as child nodes hanging off
the grammar file.  I was curious if anyone were willing to give it a shot
and let me know how it works for them.  I'd like to package it up into an
installer and put the source up on something like github or ohloh.  Any
input would be greatly appreciated.

---

Shawn Poulson

spoulson at explodingcoder.com