[antlr-interest] greedy vs nongreedy lexer rules

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Sun Apr 18 16:56:18 PDT 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 4:52 PM, Cliff Hudson wrote:

> On the subject of multi-threaded implementation, let me vote +1 for providing a mechanism for target implementors to take advantage of this. :)  Multi-core systems are the norm now.  In my job, we spend a LOT of time determining how best to extract maximum work in minimum time, and parallel programming is a big part of that.

Yeah, best we can do is linear for NFA evaluation given infinite processors, though, unless I allow lexer to race ahead of parser, buffering up all the tokens.  It's a good idea to explore.

Synchronization might kill idea of threads to handle a single token though. I need n-1 threads to die when one of the threads succeeds.  actually that could be unguarded boolean i think.  anyway, i'm still thinking about action execution. grrr. a hard nut to crack.

Ter