[antlr-interest] Any plans of next ANTLR Release

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Fri Apr 30 15:40:58 PDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 1:18 AM, Gokulakannan Somasundaram wrote:
> Hi,
>   Just wanted to know whether there will be a ANTLR release anytime
> nearby..

not soon. i'm done with analysis and working on new code gen architecture. new lexer stuff is amazing.  my goal will be super small code for parser/lexers.  I'll have some results to show soon on lexer.  E.g., current v3 lexer generated from Java.g is 136k bytes of java code.  I'm hoping to get that down to a few k in bytecodes for an NFA VM that's close in speed to an optimized DFA.  The prototype NFA VM itself (needs more opcodes though) is only about 600 bytes of Java bytecodes. :)

I learned a lot about speed of NFA/DFA from Russ Cox, super genius:

http://swtch.com/~rsc/regexp/regexp2.html

Ter