[antlr-interest] Syntax- highlighter and completition

Andreas Stefik stefika at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 08:32:08 PDT 2010

Hi there,

Another option you have is to use the NetBeans platform for these
editor tasks. Basically, you keep a list of whatever you want (e.g.,
what methods have been parsed, what variables, tokens), and you pass
them to the platform's APIs specifically designed for parsing,
highlighting, etc. All of the threading/highlighting/user interface
work is done for you, is commercially scalable, and works extremely
well behind the scenes.

Like anything, it isn't trivial to do, but the APIs for parsing/code
completion/syntax highlighting are pretty straightforward and there
are tutorials online on how to do it with ANTLR. Here's one, for
example:

http://wiki.netbeans.org/Netbeans_Rcp_Antlr_Integration_Index

Hope that helps,

Andreas Stefik