[antlr-interest] Syntax- highlighter and completition

Andreas Stefik stefika at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 05:48:35 PDT 2010

>> Yes, you can use any of the netbeans platform code standalone. As for the
>> Jar size, this is not entirely correct.
>
> Yep, it is. Just create a blank Netbeans Platform Application on 6.9 without
> anything else and see how much code you need to package it as a single jar
> with dependencies: 7,329KB Then add a few modules!

I created a blank module suite and turned off all dependencies except
harness and platform, which I imagine most folks include. If you
create a zip distribution or installer for your application, it is a
little larger (13k kb on my mac). I really don't think that's very
large, but tomatoes (different pronunciation, tomatoes), and fair
enough. However, NB platform apps can also be distributed as plugins,
which may actually work well in this person's case, since they are
creating editors/parsers/ and the like. I created a module in my
application and created the NBM files for a grand total of --- 4
kilobytes. This is not large.

So, I understand your point, but I don't think I was being
unreasonable. You can create NB platform apps that distribute in very
small packages, depending upon your specific application requirements.
If you need the full power of netbeans, with all dependencies, as a
standalone package, your distribution is huge (about 200 megs on our
system). If you have a small code base that works as an additional
editor/parser in the environment, then your distro is very small.

Stefik