[antlr-interest] Trouble with Templates in Tree Grammar

Scott Stevenson sstevenson638 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 19:10:09 PST 2010

I learning how to use templates in a tree grammar.  I'm mimicking some of
the examples in the ANTLR Reference.  I have a rule:

 primary
:    INT          -> primaryTemplate(text={$INT.text})
|    DECIMAL -> primaryTemplate(text={$DECIMAL.text})
|    ID            -> primaryTemplate(text={$ID.text})
;

where primaryTemplate is the name of the template to evaluate.

In the tree parser code it declares $INT to be type Object.
Object INT4;

and later tries to invoke INT4.getText().  This gives an error because
Object does not have method getText().

Can anyone tell me what am I doing wrong?  This looks just like the example
in the book.

Thanks in advance.