[antlr-interest] Parser generation takes hours

Gavin Lambert antlr at mirality.co.nz
Wed Jan 6 17:29:02 PST 2010

At 10:42 7/01/2010, Jean-Pierre LAMBERT wrote:
 >Well, now that I succeeded to get passed the problem... I don't
 >know if there is a bug or not.
 >
 >Looking at LL parser theory, it may not be that surprising --
 >combinatory explosions when building an LL parser who needs more

 >left-factorizations.

It's probably not a bug that it choked on it, but it might be a
bug that it didn't *detect* that it was choking on it and give you
an error message instead... :)

But error detection in general in ANTLR is fairly rudimentary at
the moment.  Hopefully that'll get better once ANTLR v3 is
self-hosted.  (Which'll be in 3.3, isn't it?)