[antlr-interest] First project ?

J. Stephen Riley Silber jsrs701 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 7 09:21:50 PST 2010

Hi Crister,

Have you read this article?  "Humans Should Not Have to Grok XML"  http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-sbxml.html

I really got to know ANTLR3 when I built a system to translate a simple declarative scripting language (like the "{{8, 17, 1964}, instructor}" example in the article, though much richer) into XML.  (I had a large sample of XML files, which represented a scripting language used in a company I worked for--but XML is lousy for coding, so I wanted a scripting language that would compile into that XML.)

It was a good project that really taught me the in's and out's of ANTLR3.  Easy in concept, but tough enough that I had to do some thinking.

Have fun!
Stephen