[antlr-interest] ANTLRWorks user registration and firewalls

Mayer, Jim Jim.Mayer at xerox.com
Mon Jan 18 10:38:00 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm having difficulty getting ANTLRWorks to start up at work.  At home,
the system works fine.  A quick inspection of the code suggests that the
problem is that ANTLRWorks tracks usage statistics and insists upon
getting an "ID" from a site at antlr.org as part of its initial startup
(this happens even if you ask it to not send information during the
"Welcome to ANTLRWorks" dialog).

Has anyone else run into this problem?  I did some web searches and
didn't see any.

In addition, I am uncomfortable that the package collects usage
statistics (even innocuous ones) without announcing the fact or
requesting permission.  I would prefer that ANTLRWorks use an "opt in"
mechanism, and that if users decline to register that the package have
no communication off box.

Thanks.

-- Jim Mayer