[antlr-interest] ANTLR v4 planning stages

Scott Stanchfield scott at javadude.com
Tue Jan 19 12:50:19 PST 2010

A little thing to add to the todo list if possible:

I've been looking into debugging support in eclipse. When generating
code, can you add in source-grammar-line/col-matchup comments a bit
more often? in particular, having them appear just before any action
code that's dropped into the generated code would be cool.

Even better: if the comments could also appear before/after attribute
expansion that would help as well.

My goal is to be able to use the target-language debugger and map the
current code position back to the grammar. This allows walking the
grammar while being able to use all of the features of the
target-language debugger (like inspecting variables and such).

I know how to set this up for Java (I did it in ANTLR 2 using Java
SMAPs and it worked well), and I suspect other target languages could
do something similar with a bit more information.

BTW: +1 for $FIRST/$FOLLOW!

-- Scott