[antlr-interest] -Xconversiontimeout

Terence Parr parrt at cs.usfca.edu
Wed Jul 14 12:33:06 PDT 2010

Hi,Does anyone use the following parameter to actually REDUCE the conversion timeout?

  -Xconversiontimeout t   set NFA conversion timeout (ms) for each decision

I'm thinking about simply getting rid of this timeout failsafe. It was originally necessary before I added a heuristic that prevented us from hitting exponential landmines in the grammar. It's a very crude mechanism and I'd like to remove.

The only situation I've seen where people use the parameter is when they need to INCREASE it. In other words, ANTLR will succeed in creating the prediction DFA, but it needs a little more time than the default.

So, please let me know your thoughts on this, particularly if you need to reduce the time given to DFA construction. The behavior you would see is that reducing the parameter using the same exact parser but antlr finishes faster.

Thanks!
Ter