[antlr-interest] Repository for ANTLR grammar files?

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 13:03:37 PDT 2010

Hi, antlr-dev.

Looking to the Grammars List page http://www.antlr.org/grammar/list I found
that it has 3 different grammars for javascript and 9 files for Java! This
is a quite difficult choice for people who needs a Java version.

I think that the main reason why ANTLR has so many duplicated grammars is
that it's difficult for people to share updates for the files. Instead
people just post a new 'updated grammar'.

My question is how to avoid duplicating grammars for the languages? I think
you could eliminate its number by having public repo for such files. If a
user improves the grammar file they could send a patch. And instead of
multiple grammar files for the same language we will have the-only-true
version of it.

So my suggestion to you, antlr developers. Put all up-to-date grammars to
Perforce repository and add a github mirror. And people could easily get the
latest version and share updates for it. Does it make sense?
<antlr-interest at antlr.org>