[antlr-interest] using generics in next version of v3

Anders.Karlsson at sybase.com Anders.Karlsson at sybase.com
Wed Jul 21 17:20:41 PDT 2010

Hi,

My only concern is Java ME (BlackBerry et al), Java ME doesn't support
generics so I had
to port the runtime and strip off generics (and some other things like some
containers),
not at a lot of work at the moment but if used more heavily in the future
then maybe
it will be too troublesome to port it to Java ME

Ideally it would be optional :-)

Just my $0.02

Thank you and kind regards,
Anders

Anders Karlsson | Staff SE II | Sybase Inc, Singapore, ( +65 6571 3125 | *
anders.karlsson at sybase.com
-- The competent programmer is fully aware of the strictly limited size of
his own skull; therefore he approaches the programming task in full
humility, and among other things he avoids clever tricks like the plague.
-- E.W. Dijkstra

             Terence Parr
             <parrt at cs.usfca.e
             du>                                                        To
             Sent by:                  "antlr-interest at antlr.org interest"
             <antlr-interest-b         <antlr-interest at antlr.org>
             ounces at antlr.org>                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
             07/22/2010 01:30          [antlr-interest] using generics in
             AM                        next version of v3

Hi,

I'm  finding it hard to avoid using generics when updating the runtime for
the upcoming v3.3. In principle, we can generate byte codes are compatible
with all previous VMs. Is it okay if I start using generics in the runtime?
v4, also in development, uses them for sure.

Ter