[antlr-interest] Text attribute for tree parser rule not working

Jan F netjan42 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 10:33:20 PDT 2010

I spent most of today debugging this and putting together a view for Eclipse
to display a tree of the two ASTs that I deal with (the ANTLR one and then a
second one that I create using tree walker that is fed into Eclipse DLTK
platform).

So far it is clear, that the problem is that some nodes in the AST have a
pseudo token which is not in the original token stream and has -1 as the
token index (and no positioning info). Those pseudo tokens are created for
some imaginary tokens, and only sometime.

Per Andrew's suggestion I traced what is happening inside the addChild, and
actually before it. The corresponding code in the generated parser is:

    root_1 = (Object)adaptor.becomeRoot((Object)adaptor.create(BYFIELD,
"BYFIELD"), root_1);
    adaptor.addChild(root_1, stream_retval.nextTree());
    adaptor.addChild(root_1, stream_Identifier.nextNode());
    adaptor.addChild(root_0, root_1);

and the adaptor.create (BYFIELD, ...) creates the new pseudo token, that is
not in the token stream.

>From looking at the CommonTreeAdaptor.createToken method JavaDoc, it
explains that for imaginary tokens something extra needs to be done

I am still looking into what the best approach is here, as I have not quite
figured out the whole picture yet .

-Jan