[antlr-interest] Q: Status of python (and other (non java) runtimes)

ALbert Mietus albert at ons-huis.net
Tue Mar 23 02:25:36 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I'm a relative newbe  with antlr; have read most of the book and the
website and done some experiments. Both with ANTLRWork and command
line (yes I'm old fashioned:-)  But, as I'm not a native-java expert I
like to use one of the other languages.  Most likely  python.

I have downloaded the (python) sources of  antlr. runtime (dir:
antlr.src-runtime-python/), added that to sys.path and give it a try.
It complains about a version mismatch; which I fixed with changing the
file 'antlr.src-runtime-python/__init__.py'
	WAS:			__version__ = '3.1.3'
	BECOMES		__version__ = '3.2.0'
Now it runs ...

In this experiment however, I use a simple checker only: the python-
main only calls the lexer and the parser;
no templates are used, no AST is build, no <<anything>>

My questions:

* Is the "fix" is did above correct. And should it work?
Or is/should the runtime of v312 and 32.*  really change.

* Does the python runtime support AST, template and all other nice
features, mentioned in the book?
  Or should I use another language option. The website mentions in is
beta, but soon to change; but that was way back

* If python is not really supported, which other languages are?
	Java, I assume;-)
	How about (ANSI) C, or C++?
	Or should I really stick to /learn java?

Thanks for the answers. Thanks for the Tool

PS, maybe it would help to put the status each langua on the website.

Note:  As I'm not (yet) part of this list, please BCC me!

Note2, Sorry for posting to the wrong list first ...
--Groetjes, Albert

ALbert Mietus
  GSM:  +316 16 531 258
  Send prive mail to:   ALbert at ons-huis dot net
                                               Don't send spam mail!
Mijn missie: http://SoftwareBeterMaken.nl      product, proces & imago.
Mijn leven in het kort:        http://albert.mietus.nl/Doc/CV_ALbert.html