[antlr-interest] Line wrapping in generated lexer/parser

Richard Gildea rgildea at googlemail.com
Tue May 4 10:06:06 PDT 2010

On 4 May 2010 17:54, Jim Idle <jimi at temporal-wave.com> wrote:

> It is a small bug and I run across it myself. If you are checking in
> generated source (and it is better to have the dependency than do this - you
> don't check in assembly listings from the C compiler ;-), then check in only
> from Unix and the code will always be the same. It probably does need to be
> fixed in StringTemplate, but you are not likely to get that fix too quickly
> I would think.

Hi Jim,

I have realised that any changes in the grammar result in much greater diffs
in the generated code, so this is probably a non-issue really.  It was just
an initial concern about getting different results on different platforms,
but it shouldn't matter too much in the long run, as long as we know it is
harmless and the code is otherwise identical :)

As I mentioned before, I am not sure how we can avoid checking in the
generated source, without forcing an unnecessary dependency for our library
on Java and ANTLR, in addition to the runtime libraries. Any extra
dependencies will likely cause more headaches for our library maintainer.

Thanks,

Richard