[antlr-interest] antlr newbie question..

Zhou Shuo Shuo.Zhou at haw-hamburg.de
Sat May 15 14:47:43 PDT 2010

Hi everyone!

I am an absolute newbie here and I would like to know if ANTLR is able to do the following job:

Say I have some code containing:

{

motor1_speed = 100; //assigned value can be arbitrary..
motor2_speed = 200;

And I need to translate it in:

{

motor.1.setSpeed(100);
motor.2.setSpeed(200);

For this task my professor has recommended me to use the lexer/parser combination tool and
for me ANTLR seems to be very promising . But after some research I still could not get an overview
about how to use ANTLR for this task... The tutorials/examples seem to be all about building some compilers..

Also I found something about the translation on the ANTLR homepage:

/*
@grammar
<begin lang="grammar">
</end>
*/
GRAMMAR
        :       '@grammar' '\n'
                {out.println("<begin lang=\"grammar\">");}
                CODE_CHUNK
                {out.println("</end>");}
        ;

EVERYTHING_ELSE
    :   c=.             {out.print((char)c);}
    ;

As I have understood the code above will match
the keyword "grammar" and translate it into "<begin lang="grammar">" (Please correct me if i'm wrong..)

But in my case how would I be able to get the values(100, 200..) that are assigned to the variables..
Do I need to write all these lexer/parser files for the compilers as well o.O

I'm totally lost here....

I will be so grateful If anyone could give me some hints on this!
Or the best would be a simple example that might be able to solve the issue I mentioned in the beginning..
Well.. I know I'm asking too much..

Anyway..

Thanks all in advance!
Shuo