[antlr-interest] antlr 3 lexer question

Philippe Frankson Philippe.Frankson at Frsglobal.com
Tue Nov 16 02:37:00 PST 2010

Hi,

I spent quite some time to find a solution to the following problem but
I could not find a suitable solution so any help would be very much
appreciated.

When I have the following input:
row1.subrow1.subsubrow1..row1.subrow1.subsubrow5
I would like the lexer to return the following tokens: NAME RANGE NAME
Where RANGE is '..', the first NAME would be 'row1.subrow1.subsubrow1'
and the second one ' row1.subrow1.subsubrow5'.
For info, the dot is not mandatory (we can have row1 alone, for
example).
Let's assume that we allow any alpha characters (apart from the dot) ->
fragment ALPHA 	: ('a'..'z'|'A'..'Z');

Rem.: it is important to me to have a solution in the lexer side (I know
it is possible to solve this in the parser but I would like to avoid
it).

Thanks a lot in advance
Philippe Frankson