[antlr-interest] if/else if/else vs. if/elif/else

st3 stempuro2 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 09:45:54 PDT 2010

Hi,

I have defined a simple if/else if/else rule (below):

ifExpr	:	'if' LRND ifCond=rightExpr RRND ifBlock=block
		('else if' LRND elifCond+=rightExpr RRND elifBlock+=block)*
		('else' elseBlock=block)?

this throws the following error:

mismatched character '{' expecting 'i'
extraneous input '}' expecting 'return '

I can solve it by changing 'else if' to 'elif' - as clearly 'else if' and
'else' are confusing the lexer/parser.

However, I was hoping to have the easer-to-read 'else if'.

Can someone suggest how I can accomplish that?

I tried the syntactic predicate ('else if')=> - but that did not work.

Thank you!