[antlr-interest] Writing a DSL for benchmarking IO

Sam Crawford sam at samknows.com
Tue Sep 14 06:04:29 PDT 2010

Hello,

Please forgive me if this is the wrong list to post to; I was
recommended to try here by a friend.

I run a platform that allows for benchmarking of various operations
(I/O, network, etc) across a wide array of devices. The majority of
our end users are engineers, but predominantly without professional
programming experience. I'm currently exploring the idea of writing a
DSL to allow users of our platform to write their own benchmarks,
without them having to learn C/C++.

Ultimately the idea is that we'd provide a small, simple language
focussed on the benchmarking constructs they're interested in, and
then convert it to C before compilation (we have many targets - x86,
ARM, MIPS, etc).

I have a broad idea of how this would take shape, but I was wondering if:

1) Anyone was familiar with anything like this in the wild
2) ANTLR would be a good fit for this kind of use-case

Thanks in advance,

Sam