[antlr-interest] De-emphasizing tree grammars?

Jason Osgood jason at jasonosgood.com
Mon Dec 26 12:08:16 PST 2011

Hi Kyle Ferrio.

> A well defined Neutral Implementation Pattern Language, viz. a
> pseudo-target could be a useful compromise with the following benefits: (1)
> enabling target-agnostic validation; (2) accelerating simultaneous,
> synchronous development of both antlr and targets (a major problem
> currently imho) by providing a thin shim targeted by antlr and known in
> advance by authors of target generators; and (3) promoting reusuability and
> readability of grammars via abstraction of the implementation.

I don't understand what a pseudo-target is. Do you have an example?

As for your stated benefits, I agree enthusiastically. Modularity
through interfaces is power.

The book "Design Rules", written by two economists, is the most
important software architecture book I've read to date.

http://www.google.com/search?q=design+rules+power+of+modularity

It sometimes seems that my entire career has been figuring out ways to
decouple stuff. :)

Cheers, Jason