[antlr-interest] SLL(2) in "The Definitive ANTLR Reference"

Alan D. Cabrera list at toolazydogs.com
Wed Feb 2 09:07:54 PST 2011

I was reading about the following grammar on page 287 of the PDF document

grammar t;
s : X r A B
  | Y r B
  ;

r : A

  ;

I don't see where the problem is since the alternatives in s begin with two different tokens X and Y.  I think that since these two tokens are different I can easily construct a DFA that would unambiguously parse a stream of tokens.

I sense that this example was supposed to bring out a finer point about how ANTLR generates parsers but I'm afraid that it is being lost on me.

Regards,
Alan