[antlr-interest] Tree Pattern Matching (filter=true) and the Wildcard...

Kevin Wooten kdubb at me.com
Mon Jan 10 20:13:59 PST 2011

So I couldn't really get the rules below to work because I have VDECL nodes that have IADECL and ISDECL nodes mixed inside them.  With apparently no way to match each subtree individually...

Example:
	Given Input - (VDECL  (TYPE ty) (IADECL a 9) (ISDECL b) (ISDECL c) (IADECL d 5))

	I really wanting to match each "sub-tree" individually such as...

	(VDECL (TYPE ty) (IADECL a 9)),
	(VDECL (TYPE ty) (ISDECL b)),
	(VDECL (TYPE ty) (ISDECL c)),
	(VDECL (TYPE ty) (IADECL d 5))

After (it didn't work) a little examination I realized I wasn't trying to match "sub-trees" at all but something more complicated.  So I tried a different approach, with a new single rule, that almost seemed to work...

Rule-

expand_declarations
  : ^(VDECL ty=. ( ^( IADECL aids+=. bnds+=. ) | ^( ISDECL sids+=. ) )* ) -> ^(VDECLS ^(VDECL ^(ARRAY $ty $bnds) $aids)* ^(VDECL $ty $sids)*)
  ;

Here I am doing all the matching in one rule and ANTLR matched all of my rules properly.

Unfortunately ANTLR faulted on the rewrite part. After looking at the code I realized that it has no protection from the sizes of $bnds and $aids being different from $sids. Although according to ANTLR documentation it looks as if the cardinality of each should have take care of this, but it doesn't.

After adding 2 if statements to the generated rewrite code I got this rule to work (seemingly) perfectly.  Is there a better way? Is this a bug or am I using it incorrectly?