[antlr-interest] Question: ANTLR and LLVM ...

Sergiy Dubovik sergiy.dubovik at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 02:53:26 PDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin
<ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Have never look deeply on LLVM yet,
> But have got fast question
>
> Anybody can give his vision about
>
> * how ANTLR refer to LLVM?

Antlr is: lexer, parser, ast walker. LLVM - low level virtual machine
e.g. can generate and interpret it's bytecode and can generate
optimized cpu instructions also supports JIT. They have nothing in
common but they can be used to create a compiler. Pretty good one i
have to say.

> * If they can collaborate?

Yes they can. However you still need to write some code. Also llvm is
C++ framework. There are some bindings though.

> * should I use or drop ANTLR if we will want start to use LLVM?

llvm doesn't provide what antlr provides.

:s