[antlr-interest] Question: ANTLR and LLVM ... + Clang

Ruslan Zasukhin ruslan_zasukhin at valentina-db.com
Fri Jun 17 06:34:33 PDT 2011

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for answers.

Okay, so about LLVM is clear ... It is compillers - code generation.

But exists yet  Clang --  C/C++/ObjC frontend

And I think Clang can be compared to ANTLR.
Right?

When one should prefer Clang vs ANTLR or reverse?
Your opinions?

===========
On 6/17/11 12:03 PM, "anteusz at freemail.hu" <anteusz at freemail.hu> wrote:

> You can use antrl to parse the text.
> You can use llvm to generate byte or machine code, optimise code.
> So they should work well with each other. They complement each other.
> C version of antrl is recommended as llvm is written in C++.

And

==================
> On 6/17/11 12:52 PM, "Sergiy Dubovik" <sergiy.dubovik at gmail.com> wrote:
> * how ANTLR refer to LLVM?

Antlr is: lexer, parser, ast walker. LLVM - low level virtual machine
e.g. can generate and interpret it's bytecode and can generate
optimized cpu instructions also supports JIT. They have nothing in
common but they can be used to create a compiler. Pretty good one i
have to say.

> * If they can collaborate?

Yes they can. However you still need to write some code. Also llvm is
C++ framework. There are some bindings though.

> * should I use or drop ANTLR if we will want start to use LLVM?

llvm doesn't provide what antlr provides.

--
Best regards,

Ruslan Zasukhin
VP Engineering and New Technology